BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY (Ltd)
BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY Ltd was incorporated in Kenya in 2004 and in Uganda in 2009 with the vision
to eradicate poverty and corruption in Africa.
, through "Social Entrepreneurship", is to plant as many trees as there are people on this planet, and thereby finance a sustainable implementation of the vision.
BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY's core expertise
lies in commercial dryland afforestation and in-depth knowledge of living & environmental conditions in semi-arid areas. As such, it is well positioned to anticipate & mitigate effects of climate change in East Africa, in a commercial and sustainable way.
Our Head Office
is in Nairobi, with field operations in Kenya's Eastern (Kiambere, Seven Forks and Sosoma) and Coast provinces (Nyongoro), as well as in Northern Uganda (Dokolo and surrounding districts).
The company is strongly embedded in the East African society, through its policies of employment and promotion of local staff, up to senior positions, its integration in forestry circles, its sharing of technical know-how of dryland afforestation with interested parties and the publication of its well-known forestry magazine (Miti) that functions as a networking platform for professionals and amateurs alike.BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY currently employs 170 staff, and 300-400 casual workers, depending on the season. As a policy, we give career opportunities to young graduates of local learning institutions such as Eldoret University and Londiani Forestry College. On field sites, like Kiambere, in the countryside where it matters, a large percentage of our workers are women. Farmer programmes are deeply rooted in the local communities, with an ever-growing number of Community Representatives attached to "their" Agroforestry Agent.
BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY has pioneered
the use of an indigenous mahogany species, Melia volkensii
, together with the Kenya Forestry Research Institute, on an industrial scale, and has introduced and popularized
the planting of this melia in an authentic & productive agro-forestry lay-out for tens of thousands of farmers.
Our plantations are hence divided into two categories: (i) classic tree plantations on leased land, and (ii) trees planted with partner-farmers on their land, with wide spacing to allow intercropping with food crops. Farmer support is enhanced through tree donations, access to micro-credit and water supply works.
The advantages of working with farmers are obvious: no cumbersome lease agreements or land deals, no investment in heavy machinery, farmers can continue to farm their land for food crops growing together with the trees, and lastly, farmers are MANY.
BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY
is committed to comply with its obligations towards investors, employees, suppliers, customers, shareholders, partners and any other present or future stakeholders through a Quality approach which also meets the needs of the environment and the community at large.
We, the Management and Employees of BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY, proudly pronounce our personal commitment to understand, meet and, when possible, exceed the requirements of our stakeholders through the continuous improvement of our processes. We are dedicated to plant and maintain the trees that will allow us to achieve our vision and mission and at the same time satisfy our stakeholders.
It is therefore our policy to:
- At all times aim at achieving the financial goals and objectives, make sound financial decisions, report the financial status of BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY, and manage BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY's funds.
- Continuously identify and address the needs of employees, suppliers, customers, shareholders, the community at large and any other stakeholders,
- Focus on the need to help fight poverty, through promoting massive tree planting and fighting corruption by supporting children's education through the NGO Child Africa.
- Create and sustain motivation throughout the organization for meeting its Business Objectives.
- Ensure that personnel throughout the organization are committed to BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY's Management Aims and Policies through on-going training and education programs at all levels.
- Establish, maintain and improve employee knowledge and compliance to environmental, health and safety requirements in order not to jeopardize individual safety and the company's future.
- Through monitoring and evaluation have a systematic and objective assessment of any on-going or completed project, programme or policy, standard, their design, implementation and results.
- Continuously strengthen everyone's commitment to environmental improvement the most effective and efficient way by ensuring that management behaviour, image, communication and recognition systems, reflects the norms and value that support Integrity and continuing improvement.
- To continuously identify present and future needs of the stakeholders
- To display the leadership needed to provide unity of purpose and direction of the company and to create an atmosphere where people give the best of themselves to achieve company objectives
- To manage resources in order to achieve maximum efficiency
- To strive for continuous improvement in the company's performance
- To maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with our partner-farmers
- To plant and maintain trees in a professional and sustainable way as expected by our investors.
Vertical integration of all activities, from seed & seedling production over plantation establishment, maintenance and exploitation, to processing in our own plants, completed by marketing & sales.BETTER GLOBE FORESTRY limits itself to the planting of high-value species that upon processing produce significant returns.
Growth & Expansion Strategy